Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year



Merry Christmas everyone! Though Christmas time is my favorite time of year (Christmas Eve is my favorite day of the year), Im somewhat relieved now that things have slowed down a bit. Don't get me wrong- I love the hustle and bustle of the holidays -but for some reason- it seemed a little more hectic than last year. Like...this year it actually snuck up on me! Maybe it was being out of town so many weekends in Nov. and Dec, or maybe it was being in a new city or maybe it was all the other big life events of the last six months (new job, new marriage, new city etc), but I feel like I blinked...and it was Christmas week!

THe holiday week was filled with GREAT meals (thanks Grandma B), quality hang out time with friends and family, and of course some last minute shopping. Most of my shopping was done online this year since almost everything had to be shipped. Byron took me to see the Lion King on Broadway. It was absolutely AMAZING! if you ever get the chance...you should go. The money is totally worth it! The opening scene is simply stunning. THe music is so loud and all your senses are overwhelmed as the "animals" come out on stage. It almost brought me to tears it was so good! I spend the next 45 minutes trying to figure out how the costumes worked. Johnny and Genevieve went with us too, so it was a great night of entertainment and friends.


Julie, ELliot and I delivered some HOliday harvest boxes to a few local needy families. Our church puts together over 530 boxes of food complete with everything you need for a traditional Christmas dinner: Turkey, green beans, stuffing, mashed potatoes etc. and also wraps up Christmas presents if the family has young children. It was such a privilege to deliver these boxes. the families are so grateful and really count on this help. One little boy waited ALL day by the window waiting for us to drop off this meal. He was so excited when we finally arrived with the goodies he hid behind the couch and wouldn't come out. He was overly shy at that point, but he poked his head out at the very end to say thank you. He made that day totally worth the effort.

Byron's work party was downtown on the riverwalk at Hotel Valencia. Neurosurgery does it right! The balcony overlook was simply beautiful. San ANtonio decorates the riverwalk with thousands of Christmas lights which makes the river walk even more stunning. I really enjoyed getting dressed up, and visiting with the other residents and their spouses. I'll admit- I was a little intimidated at first- this being a formal event and all, but after the music came on, and all the meals were served, talking and chatting came easily. Shannon- the wife of a faculty member, is an avid amateur marathon runner and she and I really hit it off. She is so full of energy- I hope I can keep up with her! She ran the SA marathon in 3 hrs and 45 minutes! yikes! Go Shannon. After a few hours, almost everyone was out on the dance floor movin' and groovin' while some good ol fashioned "Baby Got Back" played in the background.


Here is Byron with most of the other residents and some other co-workers. Two are missing from the picture... but someone's gotta be at the hospital right?!?




Christmas dinner was shared at Grandma B's house along with the Adam's family, and Warren and Melissa. THe Adam's kids donned their most obnoxious Christmas sweaters for the occasion. Grandma served up a wonderful meal, followed by a small Christmas in the family room. She bought Byron and I an oil painting of a beach scene that reminds me of North Carolina. I love it!