Monday, November 23, 2009

24 hr Puppy fix....






That's right. I got a puppy. For 24 hrs. Olivia, Julia and I went running on Saturday, but our normal park was flooded so we went to another one. It was getting new asphalt. So we decided to run in a nearby neighborhood. After passing a large, but strange looking house, a little black super cute puppy came running out of the woods as we passed. He was soooooo excited to see us. We jerry rigged him a lease from some old vinyl blind cordes and he kept up with us (for the most part) for the rest of the 3 miles. After findinga puppy...who cares about running and keeping a good pace?!?! We tried to find his owners to no avail, but he didn't have a collar and we later discovered fleas so I think it was just destiny that we came by when we did.

So I decided I wanted him. He needed a good home. Julie and I were headed to a movie right after the run so Olivia took him home to babysit him until I could get back into town. She also gave him a flea bath, and fed him. I bought him a little black collar and a leash and Julie lent me a crate.

I arrive at home...totally prepared with crate, puppy food, collar, lease and babysitting for thanksgiving all lined up to improve my chances that Byron will love this puppy as much as me. So I sneak into the bedroom with the puppy and we sit on the bed and slowly wake Byron up. Try to imagine Byron's excitement of waking up to a little puppy face:) Or not. "What is thaaaaaaattttt?" he asked. Me: "The newest member of our family". Byron: "um-hmmm. Where did you get that".

I proceeded to tell him how the stars are aligned for us to adopt this sweet thing. "Um-hmmm" he says again. The puppy curled right up next to Byron and just layed there looking at him with puppy eyes. How could anyone resist you ask? Ask Byron. He's the only person I've ever met that is able to resist the puppy temptation.

We kept "Puppy" for 24hrs and found a home for him with a couple from church. They are great, but have only agreed to watch "Puppy" until we find a permenant home for him. They already have a 90 lb lab who simply dwarfs Puppy. I can't wait to hear the update on how he is doing!

I must say- I was somewhat depressed coming home from church Sunday night. Its amazing how attached I became in just 24 hrs. Puppy was just so excited to see me each time and I couldn't wait to get home to him either. Saturday night I was cooking all evening and Puppy was on the back porch. He would cry a little when I disappeared from sight, but as soon as I came back- he was fine and went back to playing with his toys. It was so sad to come home to no one waiting eagerly for me. But...Byron has promised that I can have as many critters as I want when we move to a house with a yard. I'm holding him to it. So far on the list: Mini goat, mini pig, a lab, and a bunny. We'll see what other creatures I can come up with in the meantime.