Monday, September 28, 2009

Murphy's Law

Last week was a busy, but very exciting week. We had our first house guests since getting married and moving to TX. Lesa and Charlie chose to stay with us in our ghetto fabulous Condo for a few nights while in town. I say "Ghetto fabulous" because the week they decided to come, our house seemed to fall apart at the seams. Last weekend our washing machine overflowed. Twice. Soaking the kitchen floor, walls, etc. What a mess! We took the machine apart. Twice. That's right- you read correctly. My husband completely dismantled the washing machine and put it back together again. Twice. He's amazing. I wish I had taken some pictures of the carnage in our kitchen with all the parts dismantled and sprawled out. And.....as it turns out...nothing was wrong with the machine. No clogs. No malfunctions. The problem was in the pipe in the wall. We should of tried that first. Doh. So- the maitenance people had to come out and roto-rooter (however you spell that) the drain in the wall. But...we actually had fun overcoming that challenge together. I think taking things apart and putting them back together again is very therapeutic for Byron. Go figure! But- we will look back and laugh on that day for years to come.

Then...our roof in the guest bedroom started leaking. Actually- it started about a week before hand when we had a big thunderstorm. We called maitenance and they came out and "fixed" it. But we never saw them. Ever. So- Our guest bedroom was entirely dismantled for a week waiting for them to come and fix the inside since the carpet was wet (and probably molding now), the wall was warped (and probably molding) and the ceiling was caving in (and probably molding now). But...it started to rain on Monday night and didn't stop for three days. Now...mind you- San Antonio has been in a drought with NO RAIN all summer. And now- when we have an actual need for our guest bedroom- it starts raining and leaking and SMELLING! Murphy's law. So..we call maitenance. Again. And they come look and say they fixed a different leak- (In the fireplace) and not hte one we actually complained about. Nice.

By this point in time Lesa and Charlie are at the airport being picked up and I'm frantically cleaning and washing everything in our bedroom so they can stay in there. I was just not comfortable with the possibility of the ceiling collapsing on my new in-laws in the middle ofthe night.

I was also starting to get very sick at this point in the week with a cold/flu and just couldn't stop coughing. But- I was not going to miss out on all the family fun. So my doctor (Dr. Byron) fixed me up with all sorts of cold medicines to help me muddle through. THank goodness for modern medicine! It was wonderful to just visit with everyone. We really miss seeing them every week, and hanging out at the farm. I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving break and being back in Good Ol' Winston-salem!

And...to top it all off, one of our microscopes flooded at the very END of the day on Thursday when we were supposed to be going out to a fancy dinner with the whole family. Awesome. Again- Murphy's law. But...my boss let me go a little early on Friday to give me a few hours to visit with the family before heading up to college station for the weekend.

On the brightside though, we have a great home, wonderful family and friends, and jobs that support our lifestyle. So...God has blessed us beyond measure and I need to remember that no matter what.

Sorry no pictures on this post:( Next one I promise!